RSI Admissions Guidelines
The RSI 2015 application is now available. Click here to download the application. All RSI 2015 applications must be received in CEE's office by January 16, 2015. If paying the RSI application fee by credit card, please indicate in the comments section of the payment page, “RSI application Fee” along with the full name and state of residence of the applicant.
It is recommended that PSAT math scores be at least 76, and combined math, critical reading, and writing PSAT scores be at least 220. ACT math scores should be at least 33 and verbal scores at least 34. Lower scores must be offset by strong indicators of mathematical, scientific, and academic potential exemplified in recommendations, high school grades, and science activities.
There are three types of applicants: International, DoDEA, and US Citizens and Permanent Residents Please note that high school seniors are not eligible to apply.
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents: All U.S. students, including US Citizens studying at non-DoD schools overseas, with one year remaining before graduation from high school, may apply to RSI. US Citizens and Permanent Residents applications are submitted directly to CEE. Students are not nominated or selected by their schools. Successful applicants will have demonstrated superior scholastic achievement in mathematics, the sciences, and verbal arts. They will have shown the potential for leadership in science and mathematics through their activities in and beyond the classroom. Many will have a lengthy record of participation in mathematics, science, and engineering competitions at the regional, state, and national levels. Some will have completed university-level coursework, worked in a research laboratory, or conducted original scientific research. Others will have completed hands-on projects displaying significant ability in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics design, implementation, and analysis. Most will have been leaders in community and school activities.
- International Applicants: Each participating country has its own selection procedure and selection schedule. Please contact Ms. Maite Ballestero, Vice President for Programs to determine if your country participates. If it does, her team will put you in contact with the appropriate representative at the agency conducting selection for your country. For more information, click here.
Each student's application must include:
- The applicant's essay responses to the questions in the application. These should detail his or her goals in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
- Recommendations by two teachers (Math/Science or a research supervisor) familiar with the candidate and the candidate's scholastic record. Applicants who have participated in a research project of 4 weeks or longer at a university or a laboratory should request a recommendation from the research supervisor. CEE will accept a maximum of 3 recommendation letters.
- The candidate's official high school transcript.
- All scores from nationwide standardized tests. These include the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams. Students planning to apply for RSI are strongly encouraged to take the PSAT.
For further information, please contact RSI.
News & Announcements
Thu | June 25, 2015 | 4:01 PM
Mon | June 15, 2015 | 2:57 PM
Mon | April 27, 2015 | 3:40 PM
Mon | March 30, 2015 | 3:46 PM